PHOTOGRAPHS OF YESTERYEAR
showing various Naval Wireless Stations abroad and at home

Singapore - Kranji and Seletar in the early 1930s by Godfrey Dykes.

Plus a more modern photograph supplied by Kevin Ocarroll (last photo).

The first wireless station on the island of Singapore was given the callsign VPW, and this unit was an Arc transmitter. It was a commercial W/T station. The earliest known listing for VPW is in the year 1919, and the original allotted channel was 3,400 metres, corresponding to about 88 kHz in the LF band.

Subsequent callsigns for this maritime commercial communication station, which was located towards the centre of the island, were VPS (mid 1930s) {Malta commercial, if you can remember, was VPT}, and then GXM.

Two years after the coastal wireless station was established, the British Admiralty built a navy base near Seletar on the northern edge of Singapore Island. A new spark gap wireless station was installed quite close to the already established maritime wireless station, VPW, and this new facility was given the callsign BXW. In subsequent years, the callsigns in use at this station were GYL and GYS.

Click on a thumbnail to enlarge

Kranji W/T 1934 - facing S by E from outside main gate.

Kranji W/T 1937 - Main gates. The badge shows GYL-GYS (where normally the ships name is placed) and is of a tiger with electrical emissions (transmissions) above and below its body. The wording underneath (the motto ?) is in Malayan on the left gate and in an Indian language on the right gate. Because it is not in English, I can't tell you what it says.

Aerial view of Kranji W/T taken at 0810 on 4.4.1934 from 2000 ft.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Facing NE by E from roof of fire engine house.

Kranji W/T 1934 - facing NE from SE corner of boundary fence.

Seletar 1934 - facing NW from NW anchorage of centre mast.

Seletar 1934 - facing W by S from NW anchorage or centre mast.

Seletar 1934 - facing NE by N from NW anchorage of centre mast.

Kranji W/T 1934 - 17955 kc/s aerial array.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Water cooling system for Type 27A transmitter.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter aerial exchange.

Kranji W/T 1934 - General interior of the transmitter room.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Improvised 60 ft mast for supporting diamond aerials.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Machine room from the verandah.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Omni directional dipoles.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Part of the matching system for 17955 kc/s aerial array.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Telephone switchboard.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitting building from the West.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 21B.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 21B.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 22C.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 25B.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 26B.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 27A.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitter Type 27 A - rear view from verandah.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Transmitters Numbers "3", "F" and "L".

Kranji W/T 1934 - Water cooling system for Type 27A transmitter.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Rotating transmission lines for feeding dipoles.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Aerial view of Kranji W/T taken at 0908 on 3.7.1934 from 6000 ft.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Overall view from Charge Engineers Residence.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Earth system lead-in for Type 22C Transmitter.

Kranji W/T 1934 - Aerial view of Kranji W/T in 1934.